Vegan lentil stew
This time of year is full of fresh, delicious, and colorful vegetables. It’s my favorite time of year because I am eating more vegans and enjoying these wonderful seasonal vegetables.
My homegrown red peppers are looking glorious. So I thought I’d grill some of them and whip up a delicious vegan stew with lentils and grilled red peppers as the main ingredients.
Since it’s still the perfect time to grill, I made a big batch of red peppers outside on the grill. I used some for the vegan lentil stew and will freeze some for next winter.
Here is how to grill red peppers:
- Place the red peppers on the grill.
- Turn them evenly until they are blackened
- Let them steam in a pan with the lid on for about 30 minutes. Sprinkle a little salt on top.
- Peel off the skin and remove the stem and seeds. Put all the peeled red peppers in a bowl.
Grilled red peppers are delicious, and it would be good to save the leftover juice as it is a flavor enhancer for my vegan lentil stew.
Red peppers are an excellent choice for a weight loss or weight maintenance diet as they are low in calories and rich in good nutrients. You may be surprised to learn that red peppers contain a lot of vitamin C and beta-carotene, which our bodies convert to vitamin A. They contain antioxidants that are associated with many health benefits. In conclusion, red bell peppers are a great addition to a healthy diet.
I chose yellow lentils for my delicious vegan lentil stew. I prefer yellow lentils because they cook quickly and have a unique flavor that I love. I just put together simple, humble ingredients and dried herbs to make a hearty vegan lentil stew.
The ingredients for the vegan lentil stew:
- 300 grams (about 1 ½ US cups) dry yellow lentils.
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tomatoes
- 6 grilled red peppers and the juice.
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- 950 ml (4 US cups) water or vegetable stock
- a few black peppercorns
- Salt and black pepper to taste.
Lentils are filling. After all, they are rich in protein and fiber, which curb appetite because they keep you full longer. Choosing lentils instead of processed meat is a healthier choice, and your heart will thank you.
How to cook lentils:
- Rinse them well
- Put them in a pot with some water, bring them to a boil and simmer for 1 minute.
- Put the lentils in a colander and rinse them well.
- Put 3 cups water or stock in a pot to 1 cup of dry lentils.
- Simmer until you reach the desired consistency
The fiber in lentils is hard to break down, which can cause cramping and bloat in some people. When I throw the first water away, I notice it helps digestion. Maybe this will help you too.
My vegan lentil stew is affordable, nutritious, and an excellent meal for women struggling with weight loss. It’s easy to make and consists of everyday ingredients found in most pantries. Bay leaves, oregano, turmeric, black peppercorns, and fresh parsley add just the right amount of spice to this cozy lentil stew.
How do you prepare this delicious vegan lentil stew?
First of all, the secret to a delicious vegan lentil stew is slow cooking it in the oven. So, make sure that the pot you use is suitable for the oven. Now let us take a look at each step of the preparation:
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees (about 350 Fahrenheit).
- Dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Put the pot on medium heat and add three tablespoons of olive oil and the chopped onions. Cook them for about 5 minutes until the onions are slightly translucent.
- Add the garlic and stir for about 1 minute.
- Peel the tomatoes, chop them, and add them to the pan, stirring.
- Chop the red bell peppers and add them to the pan.
- Stir in the lentils, bay leaves, oregano, black peppercorns, and turmeric.
- Add water and the juice from the red peppers. The water should cover all the ingredients. You can add more water if needed.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat. Transfer in the oven and cook it for about 45 minutes or until the stew reaches the desired consistency.
- Remove the bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, garnish with the chopped parsley and enjoy!
Since we are cooking the lentil stew in the oven, it will not stick to the bottom of the pot. Just check the consistency from time to time.
What can you serve with this vegan lentil stew?
This vegan lentil stew is an easy-to-make lunch or dinner to serve with your favorite salad and crusty bread. Let your taste buds decide.
We can also play with the toppings. The next day I sprinkled some grated feta cheese on top and some fresh chopped parsley. Just dare to create your version of vegan lentil stew, perhaps with different dried herbs and spices to your taste. It would be so rewarding to make your vegan lentil stew.
I like this stew a little juicy and want to serve it with some crunchy pickles. They are delicious together.
What idea do you have for serving this vegan lentil stew? Please share your thought with us by leaving a comment below.
If you liked this vegan lentil stew recipe and want to join our community, follow me on Facebook and Instagram.
Love for now,
The content of this blog should never be used as a substitute for medical advice from your doctor or other qualified medical practitioners.